Monday, September 28, 2009

French Fit Pistol Case

The first project that I will be sharing with you is a commission  I just received and am pretty excited about.  I'll get into the details later and just give an overview now.  This commission could lead to two more pistol cases if the client is satisfied with the first one.  Obviously, my goal is to give him more than he expected -- that's something I do all of the time anyway.  For a one man shop word of mouth advertising is the best thing to have.  If you look at my website (www.woodworksbyjohn.com) you can see some of the work I've turned out in the past 25 years or so.  In any case, let's talk about the pistol cases.
There are essentially two methods of fitting a pistol into a case.  The French Fit method is to form your wood so that it matches the outline of the pistol exactly.  The English Fit method utilizes a method that makes compartments that are roughly the shape of the pistol and any other items needed.  These might be a  powder horn, cleaning tools, balls, caps, etc.  What I'll be constructing is a contemporary version that will be used to not only store the pistol but also as a carrying case for it and it's accouterments.  The plans are drawn, the client has paid the deposit, so the stage is set -- More later, John

No comments:

Post a Comment