Here's what it looks when it is open, room for three bottles and four glasses:
In keeping with the old ways of doing these things, the finish is clear shellac, about 5-6 coats. Once it was cured it was rubbed out with paste wax, thinned with Turpenoid. Turpenoid is something my wife used when painting in closed areas and is an odorless turpentine. This is the first time I've used this product and according to the manufacturer it has all of the properties of turpentine without the odor -- which I actually like! However; I didn't want to use anything that may ruin the taste of the wine.
Last of all though, if you've followed along with the making of this project you know I've had my fair share of difficulties with the African Mahogany. I said I was going to conquer it's reversed grain and other difficulties and I thought I had until it got me one last time! When I was smoothing it out I ran my hand over it to see how things were going, that's when it stuck me with a pretty good sliver. No big deal, or so I thought, until it broke off as I pulled at it with a pair of tweezers. If you work with wood you know that if you just let it alone for a few days it'll fester a bit and you can pop it right out of there. Tried that and got a little bit more out but that wood was determined to get the last word. After watching the lump grow and get more painful I finally gave in and went to Quick Care today. Two hours later and lots of cutting and probing the doctor got the last 1/4" long piece out of my finger, the only good outcome was that the doctor let me keep the tweezers!