|Doors Caned & Drying|
|Bench Hook, Miter Side|
Since I ran out of Mahogany I made the strips from Smoked Poplar, figure that will add a bit to the inside of the doors. To cut these small pieces to size, a bench hook was my choice. Bench hooks are something I think should be in every woodworkers shop. Very safe and easy way to cut small pieces to size. Granted, this one is "over-kill" with dovetails but I wanted the practice!
|Ready to Start|
|Anchor one End|
After soaking, remove the cane and shake off the excess water. Now center the cane and then crease it into the rabbet on one end. It's easiest to pull out some of the excess strands that run parallel to the rabbet. Once that's done, run a bead of glue in the corner, hold the pre-cut strip in position and pin it into place.
|Opposite End and First Side|
After following the same procedure and pulling it tight, the opposite end is secured. I did the best I could to line up the strands with the door's edge but not perfect. Actually I feel it looks better -- more of that hand crafted look and it's really not that obvious. I really like the look of this product, I get all of my caning supplies from Franks Cane and Rush Supply in Huntington Beach.
|Opposite Side Secured|
After the first side was secured I found it easiest to flip the door around so that the side was closest to me. This made it easier to put pressure against the strip as I nailed/pinned it in place. Notice that all of the long strands of the radio weave that run parallel to the edge are removed. This makes it easier to crease into the rabbet. All that remains is to let them dry for a good 24 hours and then trim those ends with a utility knife. I put them in the house so they will dry quicker.
The remainder of the shop time was spent making the French cleats that will be used to hang the cupboard. The upper portion of the doors needed a door stop so that was designed and glued on as well.