Thursday, December 31, 2009
Well here it is the last day of the year and we're on to a new one already! I feel as if I'm off to a blessed start because I have deposits for two more pistol cases. They will be the same general design as before but for different pistols and an added feature of having a spare cylinder in the case as well. I'll keep doing my blog to keep you informed. I've also been commissioned to make a Walnut picture frame in the Mission style. I selected a really nice piece of 5/4 Walnut from Peterman this morning. The frame will feature through tenons with an ebony peg in each corner.
But best of all, the torsion boxes are done and the shop seems larger already! This picture shows them set up and ready to be used as an out feed table for the saw. At this level it can also be used to place sheet goods on right out of the van or an assembly table. Anxious to use it and see if all the articles I've seen about them are true. I did give them a coat of amber shellac that was just about at its expiration date. The top surfaces have sacrificial pieces of 1/4" masonite screwed on.
Monday, December 21, 2009
For the last 20+ years or so I have had this huge assembly table I seem to always be running in to! It's been good but since size is limited in my shop I had to revise my lay-out. I used to be able to leave it down and park my truck on top of it but garages and vehicles have changed. It's supported by 2 of the old style, Black & Decker Workmates. Recently Fine Woodworking magazine had a feature about using 2 sawhorses and two narrow torsion boxes for your assembly table and even your work bench. Another thing is that Larry Yule from A.G. Yule and Sons Woodworking here in Las Vegas gave a demonstration at our Sin City Woodworkers meeting and showed how to make torsion boxes. These things prompted me to make some changes in my shop.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
On another, positive note I spoke with the man who commissioned me to make the first pistol cases. The first one was given to his son as he returned from Afghanistan. There was also a promotion ceremony so many of the 101st. Airborne were present. From what I was told, the pistol case was very well received and admired and many wanted to have a similar case for their own pistols. Could definitely create that niche market that we, as woodworkers, are looking for. I'll keep you posted, I meet with him tomorrow to deliver the two I just completed and hopefully get a commission for another!
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Saturday, December 12, 2009
This is one of the pieces for the door I'm making for the shed. It's been pretty rainy and cold, at least for Las Vegas standards, so jointing the edge with my No. 7 corrugated Stanley Plane not only gave me a smooth edge, it also kept me warm! The door was made using the textured piece of OSB that covers the shed and some 6/4 Poplar. Decided to make it with 1 1/2" long, 3/8" tenons. One of the pieces has a bit of a crook to it but it looks as if it'll hold okay since that's the side I put the hinges on. Used Gorilla glue to help withstand the elements. At this point, the rain has kept me from doing too much outside but the roof doesn't leak. Early this morning I managed to paint the door frame and molding around it by making a makeshift roof out of a plastic tarp. I wanted to get the first coat of paint on it before the predicted rains for this afternoon. According to the latest weather report the rain should taper off during the day Sunday so hopefully I'll be able to get everything done. I've completed the other two pistol cases and now I'm waiting for a break in the weather so I can photograph them. I'll definitely put them on the blog when that's done. I keep thinking that they may be a good niche market for me.
Saturday, December 5, 2009
The shed has taken quite a long while to do. Although it's fairly small (4' x8') working alone takes extra steps. I got some help from Richard to bring the foundation and floor out of the garage and then in position. Used a textured, pre-primed siding with 8" o.c. resawn board effect. Boy, that textured material is a chore to paint! Painted everything prior to installation then gave it all a second coat after setting the nails. As luck would have it, I needed about one and a half bundles of shingles. Sometimes I think a small project like this takes more time, seems as if I'm always either bumping into things or moving them to make room. It's going to be worth the effort though if I can get things out of my shop area and into it. Doing all of the shelves inside from the metal type used in closets that I found on Craig's list, used a combination of 12" and 16" and it makes it seem as if there's more room inside. Last thing for next week is to make the door from 6/4 poplar. It'll be panel and frame with deep mortises to withstand the weather. We know it's a shed but to call it that makes it sound like %$*(#, how about storage cabiniste, you know, give it that sophisticated sound like Target. Maybe I'll post a picture when the door is done, supposed to have a chance of rain/snow flurries Monday so glad the roof is up.