Thursday, December 1, 2011

Custom Picture Frame Molding with a Lie-Nielsen #66 Beading Tool

PART FOUR: FINISHING TOUCHES

Completed Frame with it's Painting


     The customized frame is now complete and looking back over this project I realize how much I enjoyed creating the custom profile using the #66 Bronze Beading Tool from Lie-Nielsen.  As I mentioned, I've made scratch stocks before for my furniture work and taught students in my classes how to make them as well but this tool makes it much easier.  It's much easier to set the distance that you want the profile to be from the edge, just nice to use all around.
     When I delivered the painting I noticed how much the color and finish of it matched a dresser the client had in their bedroom.  As usual, photographs on blogs really don't do the project justice but you can see the gleam the finished frame has,  notice the left, top corner?  Another thing you may notice is how the areas that were profiled with the beading tool are slightly darker.  That's because the Smoked Poplar didn't cut as cleanly as a hardwood might but it gives a nice shadow line and adds some dimension to the frame.
     We're unsure as to who the artist is of this painting as it's unsigned.  Appears to be the master of the house talking to the kitchen maid -- maybe she broke a dish or something!  If anyone recognizes this work let me know who you think may have painted it.  Many people tend to think of a frame being jewelry for the painting and I hope I achieved that with this one.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic job, we provide custom picture frames for our shop customers here in the UK, albeit I must admit they are not quite up to high standard of your frame, extremely impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your compliments, that means a lot to me coming from a fellow framer.

    ReplyDelete