Friday, July 6, 2012

Walnut Tables

     As I mentioned in my last post it's now time to start on the latest commission.  This client has two end tables and one coffee table that has some really nice stone for tops.  The bases -- well, that's another story.  They are a faux marble finish artfully applied to an MDF apron and probably Poplar laminated legs.  Very ornate and well done for that style but they want something a bit more contemporary.  That's where I come in.  They saw the elliptical Walnut shelf and made their contact based on that piece.
     They sent me a picture of what they had in mind and it's going to be straight forward yet dramatic in appearance.  You know me, the wood is the star of the show and this will follow that theme.  The entire project will be made from 6/4 Walnut.  Peterman Lumber here in Las Vegas ordered it in for me from their California yard in Fontana.  Even though they don't stock it here there is never a shipping charge or problem when working with them.  Here's what I got:


50 plus Board Feet of Black Walnut

     These are some really nice boards.  I asked if they could select boards with a minimum amount of sap wood and at least 4 1/2" wide.  The narrowest board is 5 1/4" while the beauty on the left is 12 1/2"!  I've always had a good experience with them.  Even though I'm far from being one of their large accounts they have always treated me well and give that good customer service that makes you want to continue to do business with them.
     The plan is to first make L-shaped legs that will be closed off on the inside by a mitered piece.  These will be approximately 5" wide.  The apron will attach using mortise and tenon joinery and the finish will be natural oil with my trademark, hand rubbed and applied top coats.  The stone tops are so heavy they will just need to be laid on top of the bases with cleats that will keep it all from shifting.  Definitely not one of those tables you'll pick up easily to vacuum under!
     Now comes the exciting part, going out there and matching grain and color patterns in an artistic manner to show the wood at its' finest.  Most important now to follow the old adage: Measure Twice & Cut Once.

No comments:

Post a Comment