The first step was to mill a bunch of Walnut 1/4" thick by 2 3/16" wide to make these dividers. I'm thinking the key here is to keep all of the mating parts exactly the same size. It's going to be interesting when final assembly comes along and I need to slip everything together but I'll worry about that when I get there. I set up an auxiliary fence on the chop saw to cut these parts. I needed 4 short sides of about 10" each and 12 of the longer pieces at 17+".
|Cutting Required Pieces to Length|
|Sneaking up on the Center|
|Stop Block Set and Depth Exact|
|Gang Cutting, Four at a Time|
|Basic Dividers Complete|
Now things get a bit complex and required lots of talking to myself to keep it straight. It was going to take more than talking so I got a piece of wrapping paper and drew it out full size. Another thing I did was to number one end of each long piece so I don't have to waste any time when I get to the assembly stage.
|Ready for the Short Dividers|
So far, things are going along as planed. I've had quite a lot of down time fighting the flu so this project has already been built inside of my feverish mind! Hopefully, when I get back down to a normal 98.6 it'll still look good. It's kind of difficult to read the names of the pieces slated for each slot but if you scroll back up to the first picture it's easier to read.