Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Back in the Shop

Last weekend we were in Denver for the opening of an art show that Diane was accepted in.  It was at Saks Gallery and the opening was very well attended.  I'd estimate at least 200 people and although there  weren't a lot of red dots (indicating a sold painting) it was good to see so many folks out looking.  When we left Sunday evening it was just starting to snow!  If you're ever in Denver I can't recommend going to their art museum enough -- 6 floors, 2 buildings and just fantastic.
Back to work on the pistol case and today I applied the first of 4 final coats to the exterior.  This is a 3-part mixture I use that is wet sanded into the wood.  I start with 400 grit, then 600, and the final coats are applied with denim.  It's a formula similar to what George Maloof uses but I learned about it from Art Espinoza Carpenter back in the early 70's.  The main difference is that it uses boiled linseed oil where Maloof uses tung oil.  Been using it for years and I've never had a complaint about it.  The interior will be waxed only using Liberon Black Bison wax.  Some clients object to the turpentine smell of the three part mix.  Tomorrow will see another coat on the exterior and I need to dye the leather for the straps.

No comments:

Post a Comment