Thursday, October 29, 2009

Phillips Head vs. Straight Slot!

Just a quick entry about today's progress on the pistol case.  It's complete except for the leather straps that will hold the pistol in, I'll cut those and dye them tonight.  As "modern" woodworkers we tend to forget some of the advances we enjoy due to different ways to make common, every day things like screws.  To maintain the era of the case I knew I wanted to use slotted screws rather than phillips.  Using them I realized how much easier it is to drive a screw with a phillips or square head.  Some of the hardware I used required a #2 x 5/8" flathead, slotted screw.  Yes, I did break my tiny drill bit in one of the holes!  Even following the most prudent practices of first using a steel screw to pre-size the hole and waxing the brass screws before putting them in, it was a very time consuming process.  Luckily, all went well.  I'll post some pictures of the finished box soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment