Sunday, January 23, 2011

Not the best Multi-Tasker but ... Why Not?

This has been an interesting weekend for my woodworking.  First of all, as you saw in my last post, the What Not Cabinet has been returned to it's owner.  I saw it this afternoon after she had rubbed in a few coats of lemon oil and I must admit, it's really looking good!  The reason I was there was to return three of the five chairs they had brought to me. It was decided to just repair the two that needed it the most and leave the others alone.  Here's what I'm looking at:

Hitchcock Chair, Pre-woven Cane

Woven Rush Seat




















 These two chairs are fine examples of the Hitchcock Chairs manufactured in Connecticut. This is a long time furniture manufacturer and are very collectable, do a Google search and you can learn a bit of their history.  At this point I've removed most of the spline from the pre-woven chair which took a couple of hours while soaking it with a solution of vinegar and water.  I'll order the cane, rush, and spline tomorrow.  That's job one.

Then on Saturday afternoon I met with a potential client who needs a TV console table with some interesting custom features.  What was helpful is that she has a definite idea of what she wants from a catalog picture, now the challenge will be to be competitive with a solid walnut piece vs. China mass produced laminate.  I'm up for the challenge, she knows what she wants and quality is on her list.  I'm confident I can deliver!

The last item for the weekend was to make the dividers for the chisel chest.  I'm also working on the carved panel for the top lid.  Here's what it looks like:

The very top section doesn't have any finish on it yet because I need to complete the carving and glue it together.  I'm liking what I see and will be happy to have this complete and store my chisels safely.  Having them in drawers will keep them from falling out of the leather rolls when I take them out of the cabinet.

Why do they always have to hit the concrete on the cutting edge?

No comments:

Post a Comment